Monday, March 8, 2010

Off to the Races!


PINEWOOD DERBY!!!
I loved pinewood derby growing up, even though of course I never raced a car I always loved watching my brothers race, and they were usually pretty good. So when Ben turned 8 and started cubscouts needless to say I was looking forward to pinewood derby. We took our derby car with us out to California so the uncles could help us as well. Uncle Josh and Andrew gave us some good racing tips but Uncle Dave was the true hero of the hour cutting out the design of the car. Ben and Dad chose a complicated design based off Mario Kart called the Super Blooper. Dad and Ben got it all sanded and painted but I was the one left to finish the construction of the car by putting on the wheels, let me just say I have never felt like swearing more than I did while working on that dang car! I don't know why but those wheels would not go on right, I worked on that car for 4 1/2 hours!! I was not happy, but finally I got them on straight and the car rolling straight and after a quick paint touch up it was ready to go.
Ben was so excited it was very cute. He was so happy with his car he didn't even care how it did. His car held up pretty well, we lost a tire and a fin at one point and the car never raced quite as well the rest of the night but he ended up in the top 10, tied for 9th place and got 4th in the wolf den. He also won best overall design for his car which was super awesome so thanks uncle Dave!


Look at that face! So happy

Third place in this heat

Getting his award from the cub master

No comments: