Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Cakes and Crafts

We have a very nice sister in our ward who has offered to teach some cake decorating classes. I was so excited because while I know the basics it is always good to learn some new tricks! We had our 2nd class last week and it was working with fondant. I was looking forward to it because I had never done anything with fondant. It was really fun, and really easy! The stuff tastes gross but is easy to work with. She was giving us so many ideas I didn't know where to start! I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt! Aliza's birthday is just around the corner and the possibilities for her cake are endless now :)

The same weekend I finally started this next project. I bought the stuff awhile ago but never got around to making them. I wanted to have somewhere to store the girls hairbows (we have currently been using a ziplock bag!). I saw something similar at a store but wasn't going to pay the ridiculous price they were asking. They were really easy to do, I found the letters at Hobby Lobby for $2 and then just covered them in scrapbook paper, placed a layer of modge podge, chalked the edges, and added my ribbon and embelishments - easy!
I think they turned out pretty cute if I do say so myself!

6 comments:

Nancy Wilde said...

The cake looks beautiful! I can't wait to see Aliza's cake. What a great idea for the hair ribbons and bows. Easy to find and a great decoration.

jeannie said...

Your cake turned out great! And your letters did too, I bet your glad you didn't pay for the already done ones!

Dave and Cindy, and then some... said...

Super Cute!!

Crystal, Troy, and Landon said...

Love your crafts. I'm inspired now.

P's in a pod said...

very nice....coming from one i remember having trouble with crafts. they look great! your a natural!

Gwen said...

Way cute!